Who are the Friends of Harmon Field?
- A task force of loyal, passionate Harmon Field supporters including parents, coaches, school administrators, faculty, alumni, local business and industry leaders who want to recognize the past, honor the traditions, and prepare the Harmon Field Athletic Complex to serve our generations to come.
Why is the sports complex needed?
- Harmon Field was dedicated to the City in 1923 with the football stadium constructed in 1937. Planners during that era could not have foreseen all the advancements that would be made over the next 75 years that currently limit the facility’s effectiveness to meet community needs.
- The proposed improvements will show our Greenwave Pride in addressing antiquated stadium concerns and will allow us to meet current standards, safety concerns and efficiencies for conference athletic events.
- The existing track no longer conforms to current track standards. Therefore, our community cannot take advantage of invitational track meets.
What would be included in the sports complex?
- Construction of a new eight-lane track and new multi-purpose playing field to be located to the north of the current football stadium. It would include seating for approximately 500 - 1,000 persons.
- Replacement of the current football/soccer field and stadium to accommodate a capacity of 2,000 home and 1,000 visitor seats. The current field will be replaced with synthetic turf.
- Construction of a fieldhouse with locker rooms, restrooms and concessions.
How will the project be funded?
- Funding of the project will be a collaborative effort with private sector funding, individual donations, Greenville City Schools committed funding, The Good Samaritan partnership funding and potential grant funds.
What is the cost of the project?
- The cost of the project is estimated to be $5 million.
Is there a minimum donation amount?
- All donations will be accepted.
What is the project completion date?
- The project will be performed over a 3 - 4 year period. The target date for the completion of the new eight-lane track and multi-purpose playing field is late 2016 followed by the football/soccer stadium and fieldhouse construction in 2017-2018.
What will the terms of naming rights be?
- Friends of Harmon Field will consider an overall naming rights sponsorship level that is a first come opportunity and a significant contribution.
- Naming rights must coincide with existing sponsorship contracts of the school.
Who will be using the new facility?
- Football, soccer, track and field, band, and physical education classes. The community and other outside groups will have the opportunity to utilize the complex when scheduling will permit. The track will be available for public walking and jogging when not in use by the school and during established open hours.
Where is the complex location?
- The north side of East Harmon Drive at the Greenville City Park. The boundaries of the Harmon Field Complex are as follows: Harmon Field to the south, Greenwave Way to the west, Kelsey Drive to the north, and Greenville City Pool and Skate Park to the east.
What are some of the features that may be expected?
- A new multi-purpose playing field surrounded by an eight-lane track.
- New stadium seating.
- On-site locker rooms, restrooms and concessions.
- Synthetic turf within the main stadium complex.
- Energy saving complex lighting fixtures.
- Expanded parking.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant.
- Maintain a public walkway from Harmon Drive to Kelsey Drive along the east side of the complex.